Peterson Paletta Balice

Do I Need a Car Accident Attorney if I’m Not Injured?

Grand Rapids & Ionia Attorneys

Car Accident Attorney Grand Rapids Ionia Mi

We understand that you may want to leave your car accident in the past. But this can be difficult if you or a loved one suffered injuries and need compensation. The truth is that even if you don’t immediately notice an injury, you may still need to hire a car accident attorney. The good news is that our auto accident lawyers in Grand Rapids and Ionia, MI, are ready to help you seek the best outcome for your case.

Here’s what you need to know about your next steps after an auto accident.

Should I Hire a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?

Hire an auto accident attorney if you were injured and need help holding the insurance company or at-fault driver accountable for paying damages.

Injuries Aren’t Immediately Noticeable

First, make sure that you’re not actually injured. It’s not uncommon for people to feel fine immediately after a car accident, only to wake up the next day in pain.

Car accidents are traumatic on both a physical and emotional level. As such, the body produces adrenaline and endorphins to cope. Both of these can temporarily block pain after a car accident. This can trick you into thinking your injuries aren’t as severe.

But even if you had a minor fender bender, we recommend you seek emergency care if you feel any pain or discomfort. A slight twinge of pain today could be unbearable tomorrow.

Seek immediate medical treatment if you experience any pain, dizziness, numbness, or any other symptoms. The sooner you seek emergency care, the easier it’ll be to prove that the crash caused your injuries.

Not all car accident injuries are serious. That being said, it’s critical that you watch your health and wellbeing in the upcoming hours, days, or even weeks after an accident.

Passengers Were Seriously Injured or Killed

Just because you’re okay, doesn’t mean there weren’t car passenger injuries. We recommend hiring an auto accident attorney if your child or spouse suffered serious injuries.

Since minors aren’t able to file third-party claims, their parents or guardians must do so on their behalf. Our lawyers can help you through this process if it applies to your circumstances.

Michigan is a no-fault state, which means that you must first file a claim with your insurance company. Your insurance company will then cover the cost of medical bills, lost wages, and other monetary damages up to your policy limit regardless of who was at fault.

Filing a no-fault claim means you won’t be able to collect non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, from your insurance company.

If the accident caused serious injury or wrongful death, you may be able to step outside the no-fault system to bring a lawsuit against the negligent driver.

One of our lawyers can help you and your family get much-needed compensation. But first, you’ll need to make the call to our law firm and speak with our experienced legal team.

Learn More: How to Prove Wrongful Death after an Auto Accident →

Request a Legal Consultation

Request a legal consultation with one of our car accident attorneys in Grand Rapids and Ionia, MI. During your appointment, they’ll be able to determine what can be done to help you achieve the best results for your case. Please call Peterson Paletta Balice or fill out our online contact form to get started.

This blog post has been updated.

Legal Questions?

Peterson Paletta Balice has the answers!

Click Here