Peterson Paletta Balice

How Will a Drunk Driving Conviction Affect My Life?

Grand Rapids & Ionia Attorneys

Drunk Driving Attorneys Grand Rapids Ionia MI

It only takes one bad decision to change the trajectory of your life. If you’ve been charged with drunk driving, it’s important that you hire an experienced attorney. Once you have a drunk driving conviction on your record, it can be more difficult to get a job or even find a place to live.

There are many misconceptions about drunk driving. For example, it’s a myth that the first conviction isn’t a big deal. The truth is that any conviction on your record will make different aspects of your life more difficult.

Here’s how a drunk driving conviction can change your life.

You’ll Lose Your Driver’s License

After your first DUI conviction, your driver’s license will be suspended for six months. But you may be eligible for a restricted license after serving 30 days of the suspension.

In the United States, not being able to drive can be a hardship. This is especially the case when you depend on your car to drive to work.

If this describes your situation, your attorney will do everything they can to help you get a restricted license.

With a restricted license, you’ll only be able to drive to and from:

  • Work or anything directly related to your employment or occupation
  • Home
  • School, but only if you’re enrolled as a student
  • Court-ordered alcohol education or treatment program
  • Court probation department
  • Court-ordered community service program
  • Medical facility where you or someone from your immediate family or household receives regular medical treatment for a serious condition

If you drive on a restricted license, you’ll need to carry proof that you’re driving for an allowed reason. For example, you may need to carry your work schedule with you. That way, if a police officer pulls you over, you’ll be able to provide a valid reason for being behind the wheel.

Depending on the specifics of your case, you may also be required to drive a vehicle with a working ignition interlock device.

You Could Lose Your Job

Certain industries require a clean background, such as education, child care, health care, transportation, and banking. This means that you could lose your job if you have a drunk driving conviction on your record. It also means that you’ll have more trouble trying to find a new job.

Depending on the industry, businesses may require job applicants to pass a background check as a condition of employment. Anyone who doesn’t pass the background check is not eligible for a job with that company.

You May Get Turned Down for Housing

Most apartment complexes and condos will run background checks on their applicants. Often, these background checks won’t reveal any specific details. But they will come back with a simple “yes” or “no” verdict. A “yes” verdict indicates that the applicant has a clean record while a “no” verdict indicates a criminal record.

Once you have a drunk driving conviction on your record, it can be difficult finding a place to live. And if you think you can circumvent this problem by buying a house, think again. You may have difficulty getting a mortgage from the bank if they run a criminal background check and see your drunk driving conviction.

Given the choice, companies prefer to rent and give out loans to people with clean backgrounds.

You Could Have Difficulty Getting Insurance

The higher the perceived risk, the higher the insurance premium. If you’re able to get auto insurance, you’ll pay a much higher rate than someone with a clean record. This is because people who have a history of drunk driving are more likely to drive drunk again and cause accidents. In other words, you’re more likely to make a claim on your auto insurance.

Request a Legal Consultation With Us

By now, you know that a drunk driving conviction has the power to change the course of your life. That’s why it’s important that you hire a DUI attorney to take the lead with your case.

Our OWI attorneys in Grand Rapids and Ionia are ready to help you get the best outcome for your case. To request a legal consultation, please call Peterson Paletta Balice or fill out our online contact form.

Legal Questions?

Peterson Paletta Balice has the answers!

Click Here